Saturday, August 7, 2010

New Experience and God's Faithfulness in the Storm

On Friday, I ventured out on my own to Wolf Point. I knew the Wadopana Celebration and Pow Wow was this weekend, but I wasn't sure when or where. I made a quick stop at the library and was able to get some information as well as a new library card. I learned that the Pow Wow started at 7:00. This meant I had two hours to kill. I spent some time talking with Ben since I finally had service. It was good to talk without my Internet connection slowing the conversation. 
Eventually I began to drive around and search for the Pow Wow grounds. I followed the crowd and found the spot. Many of the tribal members camp out during the weekend celebrations. 
It was neat to watch everyone getting ready, kids running around throwing dust (which they were scolded for... eventually), and to get a piece of frybread for my supper. The bread was like a large flat airy doughnut, that you could put powdered sugar, cinnamon, and honey on. The grand entry was scheduled for 7:30, so I took a peek at the beaded and stone necklaces they were selling. I was tempted but didn't buy anything because my tastes were too expensive. I didn't like the $5.00 ones because they looked too showy, but the $30.00 necklaces I loved.
At 7:30 the grass dancers came out to bless the celebration. They danced to the singing of their tribe members and to the drums. After that all the dancers lined up and paraded into the area (which reminded me of a small horse arena) behind four flags. The US flag, the Canadian flag, the Tribal Flag, and the Wadopana banner. The dancers ranged from 2 to 70 or so, but they all danced the best they could. After the grand entrance there were several intertribal dances to feature different drumming and singing groups. The Fort Peck Indian Reservation consists of two separate tribes: the Sioux and the Assiniboine. 




 
Unfortunately I couldn't stay very long because it was getting dark and I was worried about driving back home in the dark and on the gravel. Plus, the skies looked a little menacing. Right before I left they were honoring a young boy. Before he danced with his family they went over his genealogy. It was really neat to hear his heritage and how proud he seemed. The Native American culture holds on to their past and does not forget those who have passed before them. It was also neat to see this young boy dance with his grandpa, and all the tribe members came up to shake his hand and the hands of his family. I wish I saw this kind of respect and honor in our own culture more.
I left around 8:40. As I was driving out of town to Route 250, I noticed the clouds and that there was lighting in the distance. I took a picture before I left town, but it doesn't do the storm any justice. 



As I continued driving I noticed that I was driving directly into the storm. I was driving almost due north and the storm was coming in from the northwest. I was a little nervous, especially with all the severe weather this part of Montana has been having recently. While it was still light enough to see I speed along on 250 at about 80 mphs. The speed limits 65 at night, but I didn't care, I just wanted to get home before the storm pounded down on me. The skies kept getting darker and darker and by the time I turned on the gravel (which is due West) I was driving straight into the storm. I love storms, but in an unfamiliar place and on an unfamiliar road with an unfamiliar texture (the gravel) I really was frightened. The lighting was so frequent that I was blinded many times. At one point I stopped in the middle of the road and just looked at my surroundings. The lightning flashes seemed to be around me in all directions. I prayed for God's protection and asked Him to hold off the rain. As I was driving the 25 mins. on gravel I sang hymns in a slightly shaky voice. As I pulled into the drive for my school/home, the sprinkles turned into a light rain. 
I was so impressed with how I was able to make it through the storm and how God was faithful in keeping me calm. When I walked into my apartment my heart was beating quickly. One of my neighbors saw that I had returned and told me that we had a Tornado watch and that wind gusts were being recorded up to 60 mphs. I looked at him thinking "Yeah.. I know. I just drove through it." Anyways, I'm safe and sound and am getting a little more comfortable with the roads now.

Adios. (sorry I'm not sure how to put in the accent over the "o")

Casey

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are so courageous and such a trooper Casey! It's awesome to hear that you're venturing out and experiencing the culture around you. I'm glad you made it home safe through the storm. Crazy Montana driver! :)

    ReplyDelete