Friday, October 29, 2010

Ojo de Dios

This week I took a day or two to do a traditional Spanish craft with the elementary students.
Ojo de Dios, is Spanish for "Eye of God." They are made from yarn and sticks by native peoples of Mexico and South America. It was fun to take a day off from our curriculum and do a fun craft. It also was a quick teaching moment by singing "Cabeza, hombros, rodillas, y pies".
The student's really enjoyed themselves and were patient with me as I went around making knot after knot. I also made one as an example and then ended up making two more as well. The student's actually like me now! (lol... I think they liked me ok anyways.)
Here's the picture of the ones I made with thread instead of yarn. They took a lot longer then making them with yarn, but they look a lot better. Here's a yarn example on Etsy of a traditional Ojo de Dios. They are fairly easy to make in 15 mins. or more depending on how thick your yarn/thread is and how long you sticks are. I thought about keeping one of mine, but I think they may end up in the mail traveling back to Ohio.






If you have some free time this weekend take time to create a craft.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I love the colors. Top notch job Ms. Purdy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I remember you doing those at church or school or somewhere sometime? I bet the kids loved it. You are such a good teacher!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete