Friday, March 4, 2011

Winter Blues and some School News

Wow, it has been a terribly long winter. Just when I think it's going to improve nature reminds me what life in the north is all about.  I have been struggling lately with some winter blues. It's very difficult to be stuck for days and even weeks on end. I try not to complain, but after a month without going to the grocery I was at my wits end. Last Saturday my car wouldn't start, and trying to get it jumped in -20 F, was like laughing in the face of a bear (nothing will help.) I was blessed to be allowed to take the school suburban to town, and it was a Godsend!! Nothing is better then having a stocked pantry and fridge!


 School has been crazy recently, as usual. We are preparing for District Music Festival on April 8,9. It's kind of like Contest, and Solo and Ensemble all in one weekend. I also got some new students this week. I think it will be a good addition in our classroom dynamics, but you just never know. Last Friday, I had a camping/bonfire themed lesson for my grade K-4 classes. We had smores, sang some fun songs, and played a game. I set up my tent in the classroom, turned down the lights, and set up a fake fire to sit around. It was a lot of fun, and I think the student's enjoyed themselves, as well. I made me 5-8th graders jealous though, so I need to think of something fun for them, in the near future.
It's been tournament season out here in Montana. The Pep Band travels to the games to play, so I've had to haul around all our instruments, and students too! With the weather, it's been very stressful, but I have seen some great  games. Our girls didn't make it past Districts, but they fought hard with their 3 games (tournament is double elimination.) The boys made it through Districts and are in Divisionals this weekend. Today our game was at 1:00, so we had to leave the school at 9:30! I had to get a sub for the elementary so that added to me going to bed late, and getting up early. We won today in a very close game, so we are going back tomorrow. The Band bus leaves at 7:30. AAHHH!!! Luckily this is the last Pep Band weekend, no matter how our boys do because the Band will not be traveling all the way to Bozeman for State.

Also....
I  was cleaning out my phone pictures and figured I'd post a few forgotten treasures, that peer into the mundane life that I live. And, for some reason most of the pictures have to do with food.

The Lustre Version of Soft Pretzel and Cheese (yes it's homemade)

 I made myself a nice meal.

 Honeycomb, from Ben!!!!

Tigerbrood also known Dutch Crunch Bread: Yum!!

Oh, Dear What can the Matter Be?...starvation :-(

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Casey! I understand the winter blues - maybe not to the extent that you do though way up in Montana. I'm so ready for some colors and warm weather! I hope that staying busy at least helps pass the time more quickly for you. The camp idea was so creative - it made me want to do one in our living room. lol Have fun with your stocked kitchen!!! :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a precious deer. How DO they live when food is covered for months? I'd be throwing something out there hoping they'd come back and eat. :(
    Sure am missing you!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete